Periodontal care refers to the specialized dental treatment focused on preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions affecting the gums and supporting structures of the teeth. It plays a crucial role in maintaining optimal oral health and preserving a beautiful smile. Through regular periodontal care, you can protect your gums from infection and ensure the longevity of your teeth.
The Treatment Process
There are many steps of receiving periodontal care depending on your specific case, including:
- Assessment: A comprehensive evaluation is performed to assess the health of your gums, including measurements of gum pockets and an examination for signs of inflammation or infection.
- Professional cleanings: Regular dental cleanings remove plaque, tartar and bacteria from the teeth and gums, promoting gum health and preventing gum disease.
- Scaling and root planing: In cases of gum disease, deep cleaning procedures called scaling and root planing are performed to remove plaque and calculus from below the gumline and smooth the tooth roots to promote gum reattachment.
- Maintenance and follow-up: Following treatment, regular follow-up visits and maintenance cleanings are scheduled to monitor gum health and prevent the recurrence of gum disease.
Benefits of Periodontal Care:
There are many advantages to seeking periodontal care, including:
- Gum disease prevention: Periodontal care helps prevent and control gum diseases, reducing the risk of tooth loss and other complications.
- Fresh breath: Treating gum disease and maintaining healthy gums can help eliminate persistent bad breath caused by oral infections.
- Improved overall health: Research suggests a link between gum disease and various systemic health conditions, emphasizing the importance of periodontal care for overall well-being.
- Preserving teeth and bone: By addressing gum disease in its early stages, periodontal care helps preserve the integrity of teeth and prevents bone loss.
- Aesthetic enhancement: Healthy gums provide a foundation for a beautiful smile, enhancing your overall dental aesthetics.
If you have any questions about periodontal care in Frisco, Texas, please call Modern Bite Dentistry at 214-214-7790 to learn more and meet with our dentist, Dr. Shaggy or Dr. Tania.